Curry Butternut Squash Soup
(serves 4-6 & great for freezing)
Butter (organic or local)- 2 tablespoons
yellow onion – 2 cups finely chopped
curry powder – 5 tsp (trust me)
butternut squash – 2 med. Size (about 3#)
apples (organic or local) – 2 peeled, cored & chopped
organic chicken stock – 3 cups ( we make our own with Organic ‘Better than Bouillon’ Chicken Base)
apple juice or cider – 1 cup
Salt and pepper to taste
1. melt butter and sauté onions and curry about 25 min.
2. peel squash (EASY – use a potato peeler. Hold skinny end & work towards larger end, then work back towards skinnier end. Cut off tip and bottom. Takes about 45 seconds). Scrape out seeds, chop to bite size pieces
3. after onions are tender, add chicken stock, squash & apples. Cook till tender, about 25 min
4. Transfer to food processor and puree. Return to pot.
5. add apple juice/cider and simmer till serving